Design Technology at SKA
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, our pupils at SKA design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils at SKA also learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, pupils are able to develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
Long Term Yearly Overview
|Curriculum Mapping Document Art and DT.docx||Download|
SMSC in Design Technology at SKA
- Pupil's at SKA explore creativity through product design
- They explore emotions through design development
- We give each pupil at SKA reflection time to access their own ideas
- We promote the use of imagination in individual work and group work
- Pupils at SKA are encouraged to have respect for others and their work
- Work cooperatively is a key focus of our design technology lessons
- We encourage respect in our classroom environments
- Pupils are encouraged to have respect for equipment
- Promotion of trust in peers and respecting opinions on prototypes and final products
- Encourage sustainability through recycling and
- At SKA, we aim to promote a sense of community amongst students, staff and parents
- Pupils and teachers celebrate success with displays and exhibitions which involve the wider community
- In design technology, we encourage lots of group/class discussion
- As part of our design and technology lessons at SKA, we promote group work with children taking on the responsibility of roles within their groups.
- At SKA, we encourage pupils to appreciate how culture influences design
- We explore a range of materials and equipment used by
- We gain inspiration though visiting exhibitions
- Respect diversity of cultural values and beliefs
How our 4 school values are evidenced in Design Technology...
We strive to do our best!
Our pupils explore Design & Technology through a variety of subjects to understand the meaning and relevance it has in shaping our historical and modern world. Children are exposed to Design & Technology opportunities in subjects such as history, science, ICT and maths to ensure that they experience its authenticity. Our Optional Homework enables children to continue their creativity at home with cross-curricular projects.
We achieve success!
Our children explore a variety of historical designer engineers and architectures to gain an understanding of the everyday importance of Design & Technology. Pupils are encouraged to express themselves through their projects and develop their own style.
We work together as a team!
Our pupils are given the opportunity to work collaboratively on projects so that children can discuss and generate ideas collectively. It is important that our children reflect on the projects so children at SKA are regularly encouraged to support their peers by offering constructive feedback in an environment where they feel safe to make mistakes.
We are excited about our learning!
Our children's projects are displayed around all areas of our school and are shared with our local community. At SKA, we value our community and invite Parents and Carers to our Inspire Open Mornings so that they can work with their children on exciting projects.